Laughing Megan

Webfetti.com

Saturday, February 28, 2009

I hope yesterday was the worst day of my life

Yesterday was early day for Megan. She's been riding the bus lately because its frikin cold outside.
Anyway, she gets out of school around 1:35pm and is usually home about 5 or 10 min before 2:00. I go to meet her at the bus stop most of the time. I've told Megan to walk with the many other kids who go our way on the days that I don't meet her at the bus stop for whatever reason. I told her to stay with Monsei, a thirteen year old who lives a couple of houses down from us. The bus stop is not far from us at all. So I don't really worry.
Anyway, a few weeks back Megan started to wait at the bus stop for me if I was running late or whatever. She scared me a couple of times doing that. I told her not to wait at the bus stop because it is right on a busy road and if she's all alone someone could take her pretty easily.
She stopped waiting by the busy road all by herself and started waiting for me at the playground area with some other kids. I was ok with that. I'm usually not running too late. I told her if I don't come soon or if everybody is leaving, just go home. I don't like you waiting by yourself anywhere.
"ok" she says. She's been pretty good about it.
So yesterday 2:00 comes, I look at the clock and think "Where's Megan?" I decided she was probably waiting at the park for me to come walk with her. I was pretty sick yesterday, still pretty miserable today. I was hoping Megan would remember that and walk home with the kids. Oh well, though. It is pretty cute that she wants to walk hand in hand with me.
2:00 really isn't so late. I wasn't worried. Then I got to the park and Megan wasnt there. Crap, darn kid forgot that I don't want her to wait by that busy road. I went to the bus stop, no Megan there either. This gave me a jolt because the school surely would have called by now if Megan had missed the bus. I was still pretty calm. Maybe Megan was trying to call me right now? Maybe the bus hasn't come yet? My clock is about 10 min fast or so.
I saw some other little kids that look young enough to attend Megan's school. Maybe they stayed home today and they're here to meet their friends?
So I asked these two little girls if the bus came already. "Yeah it came about 20 min ago."
Ok, I didn't actually go up to the bus stop. Maybe Megan is around the corner waiting and she didn't hear me. I started calling her again and went all the way around the corner to see clearly. No Megan.
I'm a little worried. Maybe she's at the school and for whatever reason they havn't called me yet. Maybe she's trying to call me right now.
The two little girls that I had talked to, they heard me calling for Megan. One of the girls said that she saw a little girl waiting by herself. I asked her where and she pointed to the bus stop (right where Megan has waited before) I asked the little girl if she was wearing a black coat. (I've not seen any other little girls wearing a black coat) The little girl nodded yes.
Okay, I completely lost it now.
The school would have called me if Megan had missed the bus, and this little girl says she saw her standing alone by the busy road! Megan does that! She wouldn't just start walking around aimlessly, she's not like that. Somebody took my baby! He could be killing her right now!
Yesterday I printed out a bazillion coloring pages and bought a bunch of cheap crayons. Christopher and Ashley had been coloring quietly since about 1:30 and I was by the phone peeling these cheap-o crayons so I could break them up and melt them into big crayons for Cookie. I would have heard the phone if the school had called. The phone never rang once.
After screaming for Megan around the bus stop some more, I ran home to check and see if she called.
I grabbed the phone, no one had called, no msgs either.
What's the school number? What's the school number? Wheres my @#%&% little address book?! Can't find it! I'll get on the computer and look it up! This isn't working, damn fingers wont type.
I grabbed the phone and called 911! I was trying to tell the lady Megan wouldn't just not come home, she likes to wait for me, I told her not to wait by the busy road, that little girl says she saw her waiting alone, the school would have called me, I can't find their number, damn fingers wont type....
These are just a few of the things I was trying to say all at once. I have no idea if I was communicating much.
The lady asked me what megan looks like. How tall is she? I don't know, I can't think. What is she wearing? I don't know, I can't think, where's my little girl? I said I had to go look for Megan. The lady told me to stay home.
Who's gonna look for Megan? I have to go!
No stay there.
I ran to my neighbors with the phone in my hand and told them Megan never came home. They said, you stay and we'll go look.
I couldn't drive anyway in my freak out state and I still had Christopher and Ashley.
I don't know how much time past as I continued to rip through my stuff for a picture of Megan to give the police. I still couldn't find my address book and typing just wasn't going to happen.
The 911 operator or someone called me back and said that they found her still at the school!
I just broke down.
Chris had to go get her, I couldn't drive, I was a mess.
When the police got to my house. I said why didn't they call me?
The officer said that they claim they tried for over an hour!
I've been right nere peeling these difficult little crayons for forever, I would have heard the phone. There were no msgs, and the caller Id did not show the school number.
When Megan was in my arms again. I asked her if she called. She told me herself that she tried to call a lot.
The only thing I can think of that might have happened is Christopher. He may have been playing with the phone again. It might have been off the hook. I asked Megan if the phone rang when she tried to call. She said yes. Wouldn't she get a busy signal if the phone was off the hook?
I'm pretty sure I've given the school alternative phone numbers. Why didn't they call Chris? Why didn't they try, after an HOUR, to call one of my many listed contacts or in case of emergency numbers?
Why did they allow Megan to do all of the calling? She's 7, and even though she knows our number, she quite frequently dials it just a little bit off on accident.
I don't think the office tried to call me at all. I certainly don't think they went at it for an hour. I think they let Megan try to call and didn't worry at all when she wasn't getting thru. Didn't even try any other number that I've given them.
The officer told me that they wanted to know why I didn't try to call them!
Anyway, Megan missed the bus on purpose, it turns out. She was hoping that if she missed the bus, I would come get her on my bike.
It will be nice when the weather clears up. I don't trust Plymouth with my little girl anymore. I think I'll just go get her in the car until spring.