Laughing Megan

Webfetti.com

Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Hives Are Gone... I Think

I thought the hives were going away yesterday. They looked a lot better in the morning, but by evening he had some more new ones, especially on his face. Since the 19th we've been trying to figure out what was causeing them. They got much worse than the pictures in my last blog. They went all up his face and all over his little head. He was so miserable. I pumped him full of benadryl and kept him covered in hydrocortozone cream, that helped a lot. Poor kid.
At first I thought the hives were an allergic reaction, but when I started weeding out the possible culprits and they continued, Chris and I both felt that it was not an allergy. Some sicknesses can cause hives. The hives usually appear after the kid is better.
We've been recycling and sharing the same 2 or 3 illnesses in this house for over a month now (its getting pretty old). Anyway, now that the hives are gone and we've put all of the suspected allergens back in place, disease seems to fit the bill.
It sure is nice to have Dr. Chris in the house. I do a lot less freaking out these days. The trade off seems to be that Chris does a lot more. :)
If your kids, or grandkids ever get hives, don't go flying to the over-crowded, under staffed, way too expensive, you're just going to get sent home after they get your info to bill you anyway, emergency room. The only thing you have to watch for is if the hives are in the kids respiratory tract. Listen to him/her breath, that will tell you. If their breathing is all cruddy, or if the hives are in their mouth and throat, then you need to go to the emergency room. Otherwise, stay home even though hives look really scary when they get bad.
Some things that help hives,
Benadryl is the best thing,
hydrocortizone creme,
numbing spray (the stuff for burns)
Aveeno oatmeal bath (looks gross)