So, what's your resting heart rate?
I started running again, not so long ago, and I started dinkin around with the heart rate monitors on the treadmill. Those things aren't so reliable, I'm told, but I don't have a monitor of my own and I'm kinda curious about my heart rate.
Well the silly thing was not going to work while I was running, no read out at all, so I took my pulse while I was cooling down. My friend sees the reading on the pulse thingy and says "No way that's right!"
Yeah, it was kinda high. So I waited 5 min, finished cooling down, and then stepped off the treadmill to take my own pulse. I watched the clock and counted- after my 5 min cool down, my pulse was 130 something-eesh!
I'd never paid much attention to my pulse before, so I was pretty surprised. So I'm thinking about that and it's buggin me pretty bad. I decided to take my pulse again after I got downstairs and sat for a few more min. Yeah, my pulse was still 130! That aint cool. Why was it taking so long for my pulse to come back down? My friend asked me what my resting heart rate was. "I don't know, never thought about it."
She suggested checking it in the morning. So the next morning came and I forgot. Instead, I ended up checking sometime in the afternoon. My resting heart rate was around 78. I understand that normal is between 70-85 for a woman, but I'm not normal. I have been very faithful in my exercise and I eat pretty well. So what up?!
Oh... I know what it is. I havn't done ANY cardio ALL winter and am pretty much just starting up again now..... yeah, that could be it.
I told my friend my suspicions, she seemed doubtful. She thinks I'm Sheerah or something I guess. "No, really Maria, I havn't done any cardio since last Fall."
She was still doubtfull, which made me a little doubtfull. But now my heart rate is coming down faster after I run (was 85 after my cool down yesterday, that's not nearly as bad as 130) and my resting heart rate today is 74-that's a tiny bit lower. So I think my feelings were correct. I'm gonna keep checking that out now though.
I don't know why I've never checked my heart rate before. It probably has something to do with the fact that I've never been 32 before. I've realized that I'm getting older.
Anyway, so what is your resting heart rate? I ask because mine could be high due to genetics. Also, I'm curious.
16 years ago














