Laughing Megan

Webfetti.com

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Spooky Thin Walls and Nocturnal Neighbors

So Chris works from 6pm to 6am three nights a week. So three nights a week I sleep alone.
On these lonely nights I've heard things as distinct as a key turning in the lock. I thought someone was coming into my house and I jumped out of bed to go hunt whoever it was down and kill them before they got my kids.
Fortunately, it was just my neighbor unlocking her door over at her house. I heard the key push into the lock and turn! It sounded like my door. Scared the hell out of me.
I've also heard people walking around, in my house it seems, at various times of the night. I think my kids are up, but its the neighbor or her kids walking around. I hate that. Especially when it sounds like somebody much heavier than one of my babies is walking right up to my bedroom door.
I come charging out:
"You'd better be packin a gun you son-of-a... Oh, its the neighbors again. Ok. Guess I'll just climb back into bed now and stare at the ceiling for the rest of the night. No big deal."
You know that "fight or flight" response that we all have? Well, I've found out over the years that I generally pick fight. That's either really bad for me, or really bad for whoever.
Lately its mostly just been bad for me because my neighbors never frikin go to bed. So, these days I guess neither do I. It's less spooky to sit up at the computer until I get so tired that I'm not such a light sleeper anymore... for the most part.
I think one of the reasons I picked fight as a kid is because hiding makes me have to pee real bad. I've never been good at hide-n-seek.
Today it has more to do with the fact that my kids are on the other side of my house. Both my doors stand between us. If I hide, they might die. So that only leaves me with one option. Gotta kill or have my babies killed. I've already thought this thru way too much.
If I ever open my bedroom door and see somebody big instead of somebody little, I sure hope it's not Chris bumbling around in the dark, cuz I'm gonna try to kill that person many times over. And if I die, you'd better believe I'll be taking a good sized chunk of them with me!
Once again:
"You don't mess with the reaper!" - Scorched :)